Sunday, February 28, 2010

Minister of State for Immigration resigns

Submitted by BIS

Statement by
 Rt. Hon. Hubert A. Ingraham
Prime Minister

28 February 2010

Resignation of Hon. Branville McCartney

The Hon. W. A. Branville McCartney, Minister of State for Immigration, today informed me by letter of his resignation from the Cabinet. Mr. McCartney was also kind enough to share with me a copy of a press release he intends to issue with regard to his resignation.

While the resignation of a Minister or Minister of State is always regretable, I cannot say that I am completely surprised by Mr. McCartney’s decision.

Each of us in politics are bound to follow what we believe to be the best course of action in the interest of the people we are privileged to represent and in accordance with our own convictions and perceptions at any given time. I have no doubt that Mr. McCartney, as he indicates, has given serious consideration to the action he has taken.

I regret that in the forefront of his considerations leading to this decision are, as he put it, “my feelings of stagnation and the inability to fully utilize my political potential at this time”. I should only like to remind him of what he himself says in his press release, which is “that in life nothing comes before its time”.

I thank Mr. McCartney for his service to the Bahamian people and to my Government. My colleagues and I look forward to working closely with him in the best interest of the people of the Bamboo Town Constituency and the country as a whole.