Friday, August 27, 2010

Woman in Action: Robust Robbin

The popular bi-weekly newspaper of The Bahamas, The Punch did a feature on me today for their "Woman in Action" column. I'd like to share it with you. I would like to thank them for their interest. Here is what they wrote:

(The Punch, August 26, 2010) Robbin Whachell ls the editor, administrator, and co-founder of TheBahamasWeekly.com, an online news, community, events, sports, arts, culture, entertainment and Information source about The Bahamas which also provides a weekly email to Its subscribers. When asked why she choose this career path she notes:" My career chose me. I moved to Grand Bahama Island during the time when everyone was getting computers and painfully learning about viruses and email etiquette. I felt compelled to share information with my friends on my email address list. As I shared information my list grew.”

A short time later Robbin teamed up with David Mackey of Mackey Media and re-launched a website he used to run with photographer Tim Aylen. She notes, "This gave all my information a permanent home. Our desire to share information on things happening throughout The Bahamas. and not just Grand Bahama sparked us to launch TheBahamasWeekly.com. and there has been no turning back." Today TheBahamasWeekly is in the top five leading news sites featuring content on The Bahamas.

Story-Teller

Robbin adds, “If someone was to tell me that one dav l`d be writing for a website which supports The Bahamas and that l'd be featured in videos online and on TV interviewing celebrities, I would not have believed them, yet as a child, I loved acting, meeting people, and writing. I always wanted lo help the underdog, and l have always been a good story teller.”

Worthwhile

Robbin believes that the internet is a gift. She notes. “Anyone today can make a difference on the planet by what they do, and what they share online. The web is the ultimate sharing tool. Many times during my own career struggles I felt like giving up. It was at those times I' get an email out of the blue; someone either asking me to help their non-profit group, or to help them find a loved one, or someone thanking me for showcasing their cause; and it was those emails, which could come in from any comer of the world, that made me realize that what I was doing had great purpose and was worthwhile, and gave to not only the Bahamian community, but the global community as well.

My advice to anyone getting into any business is to give back. When you give you get, and I've based much of what do by being of service to community, and it‘s never steered me wrong. Support the non-profit groups, the youth groups, sports groups, as they are the pillars of our community."

Passionate

When asked to describe herself Robbin notes, “I believe most people would think I am Bahamian, but I am not." She was actually born in the province of Manitoba, Canada. She notes, “I have a Bahamian friend that always says, 'Robbin loves The Bahamas more than Bahamians do'. I feel it may be true! l am not a Bahamian but I certainly appreciate all the aspects of what makes The Bahamas a shining jewel on the globe, and I am passionate about sharing all that it has to offer through our website.

She adds, “One of my personal missions is to assist Bahamian youth in any positive activity they may be interested in.” When she first moved here Robbin got involved in the sport of soccer, and is still involved today. She used to coach in the YMCA league, and she helped start the Grand Bahama Girls Soccer Development programme with Donnie and Mary Knowles, and continues to coach each year.

Super Woman

Truly a multidimensional woman, Robbin is passionate about "love, life, my children, The Bahamas, the world, humanity the sun, my native heritage, and making a difference. She notes, “I have learned a lot through studying the simple yet profound beliefs of the American Indians, such things as no man owns the land, respect for the earth and nature. l find it fascinating that The Bahamas was first occupied by the Lucaya Indians. Parenting is one of the most important things we can ever do. I have a quote on my refrigerator that reads, 'Motherhood is not for wimps'."

When asked what would you leave as your legacy to be, this fascinating lady comments, “When l think of legacies, I think of my children, of which I have four, and I hope that when my life has ended I would have inspired my children to feel empowered to be uniquely who they are, to feel safe ln any country of this wonderful world they may choose to live in, and to know that they are capable of anything (good or bad), and that they can effect change in their own lives and in the lives of others by reaching out and by being of service."

(Photo: Tohni Blower)